Understanding the 'transfer' list of options...

Expert_wannabe GnuCash at pubmenu.com
Mon Aug 27 08:59:04 EDT 2012

Firstly, I'm from the UK and using this for my fairly new small business (VAT
registered)

I'm new to GnuCash and I'm far from being an accountant....
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now but I want to start using it
more!
I've set up my current account on it and it basically reflects my bank
account at the moment.
The issue I currently have is that I never know what to put in the
'transfer' column.
I know that this will reflect reports and such like, therefore I'd like to
get it right.

Here's some examples:

I but £10 worth of credit for my giffgaff mobile phone. /is that:
Expenses:Utilities:Cell Phone?/

I buy a hard disk from Amazon, and when I ask the seller for a VAT receipt,
they say the can't provide one, so /is that: Expenses:Depreciation?/

I buy a domain name from an internet provider, with a VAT receipt./ is that:
Expenses:Miscellaneous?/

I would like to be able to pull information on how much VAT I'm supposed to
pay!
I've trawled the net to try and find answers but sadly, I'm unable to find
anything.
I even done my best to find out how to modify the 'list' in GC but couldn't
find out how to!

My VAT is due to be paid in a couple of days