Understanding the 'transfer' list of options...

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 28 16:34:54 EDT 2012

On 28 August 2012 12:03, Expert_wannabe <GnuCash at pubmenu.com> wrote:
> Firstly, a big thank you to both Colin and Maf for your replies.
> I really appreciate it.
>
> I've spent quite a few more hours 'playing' with this since posting.
>
> Maf...
> You mentioned that you put VAT items into somewhere and used 'split'
> I would assume that if I put an expense into e.g Expenses:VAT
> Purchases:Office, that it would automatically take 20% off and stick it
> somewhere else for VAT purposes!!
> Is that not the case? and if not, then do I have to do a 20% manual
> calculation for everything I do and move it to separate accounts?

You use the Split view when adding the transaction to put the tax into
a tax account and the rest into the real expense account.  You won't
need to do a calculation, just read it off the receipt.  I have not
had to do it (not being vat registered) but I assume you have to keep
all the invoices anyway in case of queries.

Colin