Question regarding "REBATE" category.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 29 09:24:51 EDT 2012

David,

David Walsh <wnacous at pacbell.net> writes:

> Hello Derek,
>
> Appreciate your patience. When I initially set up the account on Gnucash, I
> opted for the "business" account type found under Categories. Then was brought
> to a similar screen as found in the drop-down menu EDIT ACCOUNT. Under the
> "general" tab, I was unclear what to enter into the "Account Name" and
> "Account Code." But at the bottom of the same menu, I chose BANK as the
> Account type and under Parent Account, I chose Bank, then Checking Account as
> the sub-account. On the same menu (and next to the General tab), I went to the
> Opening Balance tab. I entered our starting balance for the year and placed
> the appropriate dates for the tax year (Jan 1 to Dec 31). Then, at the bottom
> of the same menu, under the heading Initial Balance Transfer, I chose the "use
> equity 'Opening Balances' account" option.

The Account Name is just that, the name of the account.  For example
"SunTrust Checking".  The Code you can leave blank.

> I'm hoping that, by explaining what I did during the initial start-up of the
> account, you might find the obvious flaw in my brilliant choice making
> process! And thank you again for any assistance you might be able to provide,
> cheers.

Nope, not helping at all.  If you chose Bank then the headings should be
Deposit and Withdrawal.  Maybe you could post a screen shot?

My questions are:

a) What account register do you have open?  and
b) What is the *type* of that account?

You claim it's a Bank, but are you sure you're opening that bank account
register?  Can you show us what you are seeing?