Question regarding "REBATE" category.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 30 08:56:20 EDT 2012

Hi David,

David Walsh <wnacous at pacbell.net> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Here are a couple of screenshots from the business account in question.
> Hopefully this might shed some light on the situation. Feel free to request
> any others that may help you to understand our dilemma. And thanks for your
> continued assistance.

Thank you for your screen shots.  The issue is that you haven't
completely understood double-entry accounting.  I recommend you go back
and (re-)read the GnuCash Concepts & Tutorial Guide which will walk you
through it.

There are two problems you have:

1) You are trying to enter transactions directly into your Expense
Account (E.g. Equipment Repairs).  Don't do that!  Not because you
can't, but because most humans tend not to think that way.  Most humans
tend to think about "I spent $ on X", not "X got $ more".  To make it
easier you should always enter your transactions from the Asset or
Liability account from which you PAY for the item/service.  E.g., if you
paid with a Credit Card, then enter the transaction from the CC Account.

2) In the expense account you have the Transfer Account set to itself!
This is basically saying that you Paid for Expenses:Equipment Repairs
*from* Expense:Equipment Repairs!  That makes no sense!  Instead, you
should enter the transaction from your payment account (Checking?) and
from *there* use the Transfer Account of Expenses:Equipment Repairs.
Then you'll have a transaction that says "I spent $100 from Checking on
Equipment Repairs".

Seriously, go read the Concepts & Tutorial.  Please.  It will really
help clear this up for you.  It's very well written.  Just spend the
hour or three going through it and you'll understand this much better.

> Cheers,
> David.

-derek