Planning future expenditure

Paddy Landau paddy at landau.ws
Sat Dec 1 08:37:52 EST 2012

*History:*

I have been using Quicken for many years, but my version is becoming old and
creaky. I have decided, for several reasons (including cross-platform
compatibility requirements), to convert to a different package.

I have looked at a number of packages over several months, and GnuCash is my
preferred option, being a comprehensive and complete cross-platform package.

*My problem:*

There is just one crucial function that I have not been able to work out how
to do. (I have searched the forum but not found the answer.)

In any money-management package, *a critical and vital function is to view
projected future expenditure* to help with planning and to ensure that one
does not go into the red.

(Viewing past balances is also important to help understand how spending
patterns vary by month and over time.)

To that effect, Quicken has a lovely graphic display, which you can scroll
month-by-month, to view both past and projected balances (image attached).
Future balances are obviously calculated from your current (uncleared)
balance and your scheduled transactions (SX). You can choose to view either
a single account (will it go into the red?) or merge multiple accounts (what
are my spending patterns? Am I saving or overspending?).

I cannot find out how to do /anything/ similar in GnuCash, whether by graph
or listed figures.

Please would you help me understand how to achieve something similar. A
graph or a list of figures would be equally useful, although a graph would
ideally display figures to help when planning expenditure to the penny (yes,
there are people who do that, including me).

Thank you.

/Image: Sample screen-shot from Quicken 2000 showing past and future
balances as at 2012-12-01. Dates are UK format, i.e. DD/MM./
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4658213/Quicken_planner.png>