Planning future expenditure

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 1 12:02:05 EST 2012

On 12/1/2012 7:37 AM, Paddy Landau wrote:
> *History:*
>
> I have been using Quicken for many years, but my version is becoming old and
> creaky. I have decided, for several reasons (including cross-platform
> compatibility requirements), to convert to a different package.
>
> I have looked at a number of packages over several months, and GnuCash is my
> preferred option, being a comprehensive and complete cross-platform package.
>
> *My problem:*
>
> There is just one crucial function that I have not been able to work out how
> to do. (I have searched the forum but not found the answer.)
>
> In any money-management package, *a critical and vital function is to view
> projected future expenditure* to help with planning and to ensure that one
> does not go into the red.
>
> (Viewing past balances is also important to help understand how spending
> patterns vary by month and over time.)
>
> To that effect, Quicken has a lovely graphic display, which you can scroll
> month-by-month, to view both past and projected balances (image attached).
> Future balances are obviously calculated from your current (uncleared)
> balance and your scheduled transactions (SX). You can choose to view either
> a single account (will it go into the red?) or merge multiple accounts (what
> are my spending patterns? Am I saving or overspending?).
>
> I cannot find out how to do /anything/ similar in GnuCash, whether by graph
> or listed figures.
>
> Please would you help me understand how to achieve something similar. A
> graph or a list of figures would be equally useful, although a graph would
> ideally display figures to help when planning expenditure to the penny (yes,
> there are people who do that, including me).
>
> Thank you.
>
> /Image: Sample screen-shot from Quicken 2000 showing past and future
> balances as at 2012-12-01. Dates are UK format, i.e. DD/MM./
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4658213/Quicken_planner.png>
>

> --

Paddy,

As a user of GnuCash for some time now, I understand your request.  As
far as I know, the main tool that GnuCash has for predicting future
account balances is a report called Future Scheduled Transactions Summary.

However, I suspect that it only sums scheduled transactions for the
selected accounts during the selected period, and does not actually
project future balances.

I personally like to use scheduled transactions to actually enter all
known or estimable transactions for the next several weeks into selected
accounts (mainly my primary checkbooks) with the word 'Scheduled" in the
Num field.  For gross estimates I actually use the word "Bogus" which
means to me that it must be deleted when real numbers become available.
Then the "Future" and 'Projected Minimum" numbers at the bottom of the
register view will flag potential problems and scrolling through the
future transactions will hopefully reveal the problem area in sufficient
detail to allow corrective action to be taken.  Usually it is sufficient
to either delay some payment until the next paycheck arrives or schedule
a transfer from a savings account intended to buffer irregular cash flows.

There have been suggestions that GnuCash implement something similar to
your suggestion, and I hope that will happen sooner rather than later.

David C