Planning future expenditure

Bert Riding reriding at xmission.com
Sun Dec 2 14:36:33 EST 2012

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:03:07 -0800 (PST)
Paddy Landau <paddy at landau.ws> wrote:

> Thank you for your further comments, Steve.
>
> > I enter all transactions
> > as soon as I know about them even if the date is in the future.  All
> > future transactions are separated by a blue line in the account
> > ledger which makes them easy to see.  This way, I can see exactly
> > what is coming out of my account and what my projected account
> > balance will be if I take no further action.
>
> Entering projected transactions when they are planned could be fine
> if the transactions were either rare or one-offs.
>
> But what about transactions that continue indefinitely? You would
> have to enter, say, 13 months in advance, and then remember to add a
> new one of each transaction every month.

The way I personally handle this is to make scheduled transactions
which are added 45 or more days into the future.  Then when, say, the
phone bill comes, I merely change the amount to reflect the actual
bill.  The basic template of the transaction is already there.  I have
a close estimate of future expenditures, and it's very simple to adjust
the actual amounts to reflect reality when the actual amounts are known.

--
Bert Riding
reriding at xmission.com