Planning future expenditure

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sun Dec 2 18:00:52 EST 2012

There seem to be a lot of different ways of managing this. The budget
feature was mentioned, but there's no way in it of noting what the
budgeted amounts are for, and there's only one value per time interval.

I don't like the idea of adding transactions to GnuCash when their value
isn't known.

I simply run a spreadsheet for our main transaction account with one
line for each estimate for all the major recurring items. As the items
are paid, I adjust them to reflect the actuals (to the nearest dollar).
As unplanned items arise, I add them. Each start-of-month has a Carried
Forward entry that copies the balance from the previous month and an
Actual Balance that is filled in at the end of the previous month. At
the start of each month I change the balance for the month's first
transaction from being based on the Carried Forward balance to the
Actual Balance.

I fill the spreadsheet for 6-12 months into the future, using separate
files for each fiscal year (Jul-Jun in my case). When I set up future
months, I use the previous year's spreadsheet and the GnuCash
transaction schedule to remind me about regular costs (and add an
allowance for inflation).

It's not ideal, but it works reasonably well for me.

Peter