Tips on data input

Matt Braunstein matt_braunstein at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 06:54:14 EST 2012

I really don't use GnuCash exactly like you would use Quicken. But this ability, along with the double entry method foundation is what makes it such a great program. I create a monthly budget with many different categories. Instead of trying to keep track of the spending through expense reports, I make a separate subaccount in my checking for each of these categories. When I enter my paycheck, I place the budgeted amount into these subaccounts. This allows me to quickly see how much money is still in each budget category by looking at the account summary. It does make it more cumbersome and difficult to reconcile the checking account, but a whole lot easier than trying to load expense reports to see the same information.

I do not keep any information on how I spend cash. When I withdraw the cash, it comes from whichever subaccount(s) it will be used. I keep all my receipts from purchases. I entry them as regularly as possible. Sometimes it may take a week, life does get busy. But the longer you wait, the longer this process will take. I think the harder part is getting my wife to keep and give me her receipts as well. If you can stick to doing it daily, that is the best. I would also suggest opening up your bank account and just clearing transactions in GnuCash manually to make sure you haven't missed any transactions.

One more thing. I always keep my view in auto-split ledger. This allows me to quickly enter the transactions, since using this subaccount method always requires entering from more than one account on a transaction. Also, I always enter my transactions under the parent checking account, including a blank line with this account. This allows me to see and enter all of the transactions in my checking account in one place.

Matt