Python Bindings (Again)

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 22:48:43 EST 2012

There was earlier in 2012 a discussion (http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Python-bindings-by-default-tc4438136.html) about the reasons why Python bindings could not or would not be enabled in the default distributions of Gnucash. In the course of the discussion, numerous valid impediments were raised for this, which I understand and accept--especially as a non-coding member of the Gnucash user base.

However, I am always the dreamer, and one of the things I dream about (for Gnucash, at any rate) is a better way to handle stock prices and stock price histories. I especially would like to try to use the scripts for getting and importing historical prices listed on the wiki (http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/get_prices). Even though I am not a programmer, I would like to try these scripts out. Doing so requires the Python bindings.

The Gnucash site directions for enabling the Python bindings for Mac OS X (which is my OS) are quite old and rely on a non-Quartz compilation using Macports. I am wondering whether this remains the only way to enable Python bindings, or whether there is some other way to skin this cat?

David