Program is hanging up

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Mon Dec 24 06:49:43 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org
[mailto:gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org] On Behalf Of
Maf. King
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 05:01
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org; Steve
Subject: Re: Program is hanging up

On Sun 23 December 12 13:33:57 Steve wrote:
> Don't congratulate me yet.
>
> 1. I did not find either of your referenced .gtkrc or .gtkrc-2.0 files
> in my home directory in my original user space.  After getting your
> reply, when I ran GnuCash in my original user space, it was hanging up
> as reported earlier although clearly there is no evidence of that
> style being there (I can tell cause there is no ORANGE).
>
> 2. So I went to my last "new user" that still runs GnuCash just fine,
> and copied the .gconf, .gconfdd, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and
> .gnucash folders (ok, I'm flailing) from that new user over to the
> original user, thinking if it works there, must work here...
>
> Note:  The only "thing" that distinguishes having GnuCash run
> successfully vs. not successfully (eg hanging up), is where it runs
> successfully, that style program was NEVER run on it.
>
> 3. After copying those folders over, the program does not hang, eg
> non-responsive and an error dialog box comes up.  However, it is
> non-responsive, eg, if I click to expand Expenses, it opens up, but if
> I click again to minimize it, it does nothing; if I click Equity, it
> does nothing; if I go to preferences and click the tip box, it does
nothing.

> So clearly (to me), something is remembering that I had run that style
> program even though it is no longer active.
>
> Sigh.

Hi Steve,

don't give up yet - the fact that it works for a new user is certainly cause
for encouragement.

I don't know how GC and Windows interact, perhaps the theme setting is
lurking somewhere in the registry rather than configuration files?  John
Ralls clearly knows more about this than I do, and I'm sure he'll pick up
this thread again with better advice when he is able!

Since your original user setup isn't working correctly, and you think it may
be due to a particular theme, can you re-run the gtk2_prefs settings managar
and either change the theme to something else, or better perhaps, back to
default?

Season's Greetings
Maf.

I'm running in XP, or I would try to help you find something you could have
missed, but assuming you're going to delete the new user at some point
anyway, you could also run gtk_prefs in the new user and not even change
anything just to confirm that simply running it doesn't cause a problem like
you are afraid.  If that doesn't cause a problem, it might be more
encouraging for you.