OO Base/SQLite

am65 amarquez65 at yahoo.es
Wed Dec 26 07:16:51 EST 2012

I also tried the same solution OOBase/SQLite for reporting on my GNUCash data
and I found the following problems:

* I didn't find a good JDBC driver for SQLite to be used by OOBase. If you
use Windows then you should have no problems using ODBC. For me
Linux+ODBC+SQLite didn't work well.

* SQLite doesn't have a "Date" native data type and I found it difficult to
deal with dates in reports.

* SQLite doesn't have a function to deal with different time zones (while,
for example MySQL, has the convert_tz() function). This is also a problem if
you leave in a different time zone as GMT.

* In general, SQLite doesn't have a flexible SQL engine to make queries.

I ended up using MySQL as database and, for reporting, I use BIRT and the
standard reports provided by GNUCash.

In the end I'm not very satisfied with my reporting on GNUCash. I have spent
a lot of time trying different options and I guess if I woudn't have a lot
of time learning this Scheme/Guile language.

Anybody out there without a IT background has managed to make custom reports
with Scheme?