Old file requires newer version?

GCMAB nvgybsj8h7 at snkmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:24:57 EST 2012

Mike or Penny Novack wrote
> Let's see if I understand what you have just said. Version 2.2.9 is a
> VITAL "conversion version" of gnucash needed to be able to guarantee
> that files created by earlier versions (like 2.2.0) can be read* by
> newer versions (like the 2.4's).

I don't think anyone will be able to give a 100% categoric answer to the
question. For practical reasons testing each new version with a wide variety
databases created with every preceding version is not possible. But even
bearing this in mind, "guarantee" is always a difficult word to apply to
software.

>From personal experience I know that for the functionality I use (or used to
use) and upgrade from a slightly earlier version (2.2.7 I think) to 2.4.x
caused no problems.

Mike or Penny Novack wrote
> I am interpreting what you said to mean that 2.2.9 can read versions
> (at least) down to 2.2.0 and when 2.2.9 saves the file it will then be
> readable by new version of the 2.4 series.

I think it is reasonably safe to assume that most (maybe all?) testing for
upgrading has been carried out on upgrades from the most recent release of
the previous series so always going to that version first will certainly
reduce the chance of you running into problems which neither testing nor
others making the same jump uncovered.