DRIP - setup two accounts for each stock?

Pandem pandem at iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 30 08:08:54 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

Any income from the investment comes thru Income:Investment:IBM and any
purchase was handled handled from Assets:Bank:Bank_Name
->Assets:Investment:Broker:Broker_X -> Assets:Investment:Stock:IBM. This way
I kept track of who collected the commissions and at what stage of the
transaction.
I could not figure out how to get it to appear in an expense account i.e.
Expense:Investment:Stock:IBM as it did not make sense.
The example in the documentation suggest that only the commissions appear in
the expenses and the actual cash used to purchase the stock comes from the
Assets:Cash account. This makes sense to me as you still 'own' the cash, you
just have converted it in to shares.

As for the Advanced reporting the first time I ever used it was just now.
;-)
Any report that I produced and presented to my tax accountant answered his
questions so that made me happy. They are based on simple transaction
reports.