Closing the books, Opening Balance & Profit & Loss

AndreeCrist tom at theatons.com
Wed Feb 1 19:25:54 EST 2012

Hi,

I've been googling for hours, desperate to figure this one out. .

So my year end is 01/04/2008 - 31/03/2009.
I have moved transactions on the 31st to the 30th.

I have closed the books on the 31st. .

Now before I closed the books, the profit & loss was showing a loss of say
£15k.
Now the books are closed, the profit / loss is balanced to zero with the
balance coming from a -£15k value in the Equity:ClosingBalance:2008-2009 . .
all good.

Now If I move the accounting period to 01/04/2009 - 31/03/2010 .. [next
fiscal year] .. then I really want to start this next new day / year..
showing we have a loss which were carrying forward.. of the £15k from the
previous fiscal year. .

-- this is where I get a bit shakey -

How can I carry this loss through onto the next year ? The overall net value
has remained the same, but how to carry the loss over ? Really stuck on
this.. maybe I'm just being a moron here..

Please help.

Kind Regards,
Andree