can I get info on quanties from bill splits?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 2 10:23:23 EST 2012

Shane Litherland <litherland-farm at bigpond.com> writes:

> Hi Derek
>
> I've looked at some of the .scm files,
> I am thinking what might work for me, is copying the 'quantity' commands
> for the invoice.scm into a customised version of the register.scm
>

> My first step would naturally be to save a copy of the register.scm with
> a new name so I can play with it.

You will need to:
* rename the file
* rename the module
* rename the report
* give the renamed report a new GUID

> That means then going through and e.g. changing the define lines from
> 'register' to 'my-bastardisation-of-an-otherwise-workable-register'
> or something similar... ;-)

Yep.

> Before I crash headlong into that, a quick 'find' shows 'register' in
> other command pieces such as
> register-report-guid
> gnc:register-report-create-internal
> and others.

You will have to make changes in the report.scm.  You shouldn't need to
make changes outside that report.  The 'create-internal' should possibly
be removed from the copied report.

> are these commands/modules defined 'freestanding' (i.e. the register.scm
> is calling them from elsewhere) and therefore I don't go changing their
> leading name, or are they all referring back to earlier defines within
> this register.scm file, in which case if I start changing the filename
> and main define, I'd have to diligently work through and change any
> 'children' bits..?

All the report files should be self sufficient, although sometimes there
are hooks where others call into the report.  In those hook cases you
will need to remove the hooks in your duplicated report.

> I can handle wading through it and slowly deciphering things, just
> wanted to get some superior advice before I continue.

No worries!