Compression

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Fri Feb 10 05:38:37 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org
[mailto:gnucash-user-bounces+the00dustin=gmx.net at gnucash.org] On Behalf Of
Michael Leone
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 22:49
Cc: gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Compression

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Dustin Henning <The00Dustin at gmx.com> wrote:
>        I tried searching nabble, but I'm not familiar with nabble, so
> I could have been doing it wrong.  Regardless, searching "GnuCash gzip"
> returned way too much nonsense.  I believe I read that the GnuCash XML
> file is compressed with GZip and this can be turned off.  I don't want
> to turn it off, but I have found that when I decompress the file to
> edit the XML and

Why are you hand-editing the file at all? What are you trying to accomplish
that can not be done using the program interface?

I hadn't really read the manual and it wasn't intuitive that you could type
in a new exchange (because, at least in Windows, when I clicked anywhere on
the box, it dropped down, so I had to tab to it for it to be obvious I could
type).  As such, I created some virtual stuff under the "template" exchange
instead of creating a custom exchange.  This stuff was not visible in the
security editor, so I had to change it to a custom exchange manually through
XML.  Once I did this, the "price" (in quotes because it is virtual) stopped
getting recorded from transactions, so now these virtual accounts have the
wrong value listed.  I want to delete all of the prices related to the
virtual securities in order to make the accounts not show the value of the
securities (as my real accounts with real securities don't).  This may be
possible via the interface (if I can turn the option to record them on and
then off), but I am not sure and I don't want to make my funds stop
recording prices (or make my real securities start recording prices).  I am
also using "No Currency - XXX" in the virtual transactions, and it turns out
that the XML includes XXX in some real transactions (for funds), so I want
to change my virtual stuff to XTS instead of XXX.  This will make it easier
to experiment regarding a more complicated post I made on January 30th
regarding unexpected currency rounding that received no replies.  I already
did some experimenting regarding that, but reverted from it because I wanted
to keep my data in a supported format.  By supported format, I mean I
convinced GnuCash that XTS had 8 zeroes instead of 6, but since currencies
aren't supposed to be editable, I didn't want to keep that (also the display
showed 4 zeroes toward the end of the numbers with rounding until you
clicked on them and then showed more numbers with different rounding),
however, while the latter may be possible via the interface without causing
big problems, it will still be far easier to change the several transactions
and accounts in question to XXX (and possibly change their linked accounts
to see if it affects the unexpected rounding) via the XML file in notepad++
vs the interface.
	Dustin