Search function

trythis grahamlane at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 14:01:44 EST 2012

You guys are right about searching with the main "accounts" tab selected. My
problem was searching with the wrong tab selected, usually it was the
resulting failed search tab .

The search function has stumped me because it always starts with radio
button "refine this search" selected unless I select an account tab first.
If I start a search with the last search still selected, does clicking
"Start New Search" radio button is the same as leaving it selected as
"refine search?" (if so, this seems counter intuitive to my small mind.)

 It does nothing at all if I I have a blank search window regardless of
where that search tab originated from. Am I right that searching from a null
result search window may as well be disabled, because "new search" only
applies to the results window that /that/ search resulted in?  It seems that
a person searching for something with no results might immediately CTRL-F
from the unsuccessful result and attempt to find the info another way and be
fooled into thinking that "new search" radio button would force the find
action to start from scratch.  No wonder I have been so frustrated with
searching. I really thought that "new search" was "new" and not "refine."
Hopefully you can see my source of confusion, and not think I am a total
nut.

I had to reinstall a couple of times from the known issue that results in:
/
One of your reports has a report-guid that is a duplicate. Please
check the report system, especially your saved reports, for a report
with this report-guid: 2e3751....../

In trying diagnose that problem, (before finding out it the fix was to
reinstall) I was thinking that the blank "custom reports" interface was part
of this and part of a  larger problem that was preventing Gnucash from
accessing the database or some section of the programming that might have
included the search functionality. (I have no concept of how programming or
the back end works if that sounds really dumb.)