Backups Lesson - Ugh!

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 19 20:56:44 EST 2012

Hi

I need to warn you all that a certain brand external USB device marketed
as a hard drive backup that is supposed to be nearly automatic after
simple setup really sucks (the software had the word Smart embedded in
the name).

It turns out that
a.  It was not backing up my GnuCash files, perhaps because it did not
recognize the suffix (or lack thereof) as a file type that should be
backed up.
b.  It was not able to automatically retrieve files that it had backed up
c.  It was also not backing up or able to retrieve many other file types
as well.
d.  It was also failing to warn me when it was running into file/folder
permission errors that caused additional backup failures.

I failed to test what the device backed up and what it could retrieve.

Luckily, I had alternative secondary backup procedures and devices in
place, but it became a real nightmare before I got back in business again.

Thoroughly test your backup and retrieval procedures and devices before
your hard drive fails!

David