Backups Lesson - Ugh!

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Mon Feb 20 03:27:24 EST 2012

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:56:44 -0600
David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I failed to test what the device backed up and what it could retrieve.

Heh, that's the first lesson in testing backup, iow. trying out
restore. ;)

> Luckily, I had alternative secondary backup procedures and devices in
> place, but it became a real nightmare before I got back in business
> again.

We're glad you're safe.

> Thoroughly test your backup and retrieval procedures and devices
> before your hard drive fails!

and do not rely on 'S' labels which usually mean 'Stupid'.

btw, due to other reasons, I use LTO-2 tape drives along with Amanda
backup, but for backing up smaller quantity of data (in my case my
current inbox of email) I use Tarsnap (http://www.tarsnap.com/) as cheap
& secure cloud solution.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Not by merely abstaining from work can one achieve freedom
from reaction, nor by renunciation alone can one attain perfection.