claimable VAT from expenses, etc.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 21 17:22:54 EST 2012

Hi,

ST <smntov at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> 1) how can I set up GnuCash to automatically put VAT from expenses (not
> bills!) into some sort of VAT_Claimable account. At the end of the day,
> what I pay to tax authorities is: (VAT_Payable - VAT_Claimable)?

Unfortunately the only place where GnuCash will automatically apply VAT
(or any tax, for that matter) is in the business features (invoices and
bills).  If you enter your expense as a vendor bill you can apply VAT
and gnucash will compute it for you.

Without using that, you must Split out the VAT manually and compute it
yourself (although you can use GnuCash to help you with some of it, but
it could get tedious).

> 2) is there a way to define for each expenses account a portion of VAT
> that will go to VAT_Claimable? For example I might be able claim 100% of
> VAT spent on fuel but only 66% of VAT spent on car repair (since I use
> the car also for private purposes)?

Sorry, no.

> 3) I have a small business with my partner, when we have to purchase
> something for the business we do it from our own money but later when we
> divide the profit we take into account purchases each of us made from
> his own money. What is the best way to track this in GnuCash?

I'll leave this for an accountant.  Are you expecting the company to
reimburse you?  Or just take your purchase as a capital deposit?