"Advanced Portfolio" realized gain/loss

John E. Sterbenz, Jr. jsterben at umich.edu
Thu Feb 23 10:57:36 EST 2012

Is there anything other than a unit sale that would trigger an
increase/decrease in "realized gain" as found in the Advanced Portfolio
report?

I am tracking several securities in GNUCash and have never sold any of
the shares purchased.  There are no brokerage fees, and there's been
nothing like splits, reverse splits, etc. for any of them.  Some pay
dividends (which are reinvested), some don't (shouldn't matter).
However, nearly all of them report a realized loss (in addition to the
unrealized loss, which is also reported).

I'm running GNUCash version 2.4.7 (built from svn r20813 on July 2,
2011) on a 64-bit version of Win7.  I've been using this version for
some time, but only recently took the time to add 16 year's worth of
end-of-month close pricing data (not knowing that the price calculated
when adding transactions didn't end up in the Price Editor as it did in
MS Money).  It was analyzing the results of this work on a
month-by-month basis via Advanced Portfolio that I identified this.  Any
ideas?

Thanks for any insight anyone might have!

John