"Advanced Portfolio" realized gain/loss

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 15:03:52 EST 2012

I know this has come up before, PERSONALLY, I've had good luck changing the basis calculation method to FIFO, that seemed (for me) to resolve the issue of having dollars in the realized gain/loss when I'd never done anything but buy shares, however I think I recall others saying it did not resolve it for them.

Personally I handle my transactions the following way (which may matter)

Money goes from Income to a "Cash" account for my 401k/investments
Money is used from that "Cash" account to buy shares in the sub-accounts for each investment

I used to find if I had the income directly going into the share sub-accounts it seemed to mess up a number of the reports (although I'm not sure if that is still an issue or not).

Thanks

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com
Discover a lost art - play Marbles. May 2004
www.marillion.com