Capital loss on deposit

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Feb 25 13:42:56 EST 2012

David T. wrote:

>Most times, I hear that capital gain/loss is entered into an income account, rather than an expense account.
>

>David

That has more to do with to what extent familiar with old fashioned
bookkeeping. Those of us who grew up using pen and ink on paper will be
comfortable thinking of an account which might be either "income" or
"expense" depending on whether the net balance is credit of debit would
be comfortable having just one "capital gains/losses" account when using
gnucash. Those new to bookkeeping and no experience before gnucash might
be more comfortable having two, a capital gains and a capital losses.
And that might actually make filling out the tax form easier*.

Michael

* The old way pen and ink on paper there was no automated "net balance"
so you did have the total debits and total credits for a ledger account
as well as the "net"  added to one side or the other to bring the two
into balance.