Best way to query for checks?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Feb 25 14:24:19 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, February 25, 2012 10:32 am, David Carlson wrote:
> On 2/25/2012 9:01 AM, dniezby wrote:
>> Wow, with all the features GC has, I'm shocked that searching for a
>> range of
>> check numbers is VERY complicated.

Part of the reason is that the "Check Number" column is not a numeric,
it's a freeform string.  It's *sorted* numerically, but it is not a
numeric.

>> There has got to be a way to search for that quicker.  Anyone know how
>> request this to the wish list or something like that?

You could file something with Bugzilla, but as a developer I cannot think
of a good way to do this in a generic way based on the current
implementation.  Internally it's just a string, and there's not an easy
way to signal "this string contains a number", because frankly there is no
requirement anywhere that it actually contain a number.

>> Seems like such a basic feature.  Search for checks X thru Y.

This is actually the first time in over a decade that I've heard of this
request.  So I wouldn't consider it "basic" at all!

> How about requesting a change to the Find function Number section to add
> options like 'number less than' 'number greater than' or 'number equals'?

As I said above, the number column isn't a number, it's a string.  So
there is no way to signal this behavior in the search window in an "easy
way."

> David

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745