Mistaken exchange rates in the price editor

gerdemb gnucash at ibeni.net
Tue Feb 28 08:19:06 EST 2012

Good morning,

I have a question about how the price editor works. When I transfer funds
between two accounts with different currencies, the "Transfer Funds" dialog
appears and I can define an exchange rate to use. This exchange rate is also
automatically added to the price editor with the source "user:xfer-dialog".
This all works fine until I need to change the exchange rate for the
transaction. I can change the rate of the transaction by going to "Action |
Edit Exchange Rate", but that does not seem to update the exchange rate that
was automatically added earlier in the price editor.

This is a problem for me in two common scenarios. 1. I accidentally make a
mistake when entering the initial exchange rate for the transaction. 2. I
enter a transaction with an estimated exchange rate and then later correct
the rate to match the actual rate I received. This happens when I enter a
credit card transaction in a foreign currency and then later adjust the
exchange rate when I receive my bill. In both cases, the initial exchange
rate automatically added into the price editor is never changed even though
the transaction's exchange rate is.

So, am I doing something wrong or is this just the way GnuCash works?
Fundamentally, I don't understand why the exchange rates are even entered
into the price editor as they can be derived from the underlying
transactions. In my mind, the price editor should only be used for manually
entering exchange rates. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben