Repeated budget values

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 2 18:44:47 EST 2012

I have wondered about this, too. I looked at trying to do a budget for
family income/expenses in GnuCash, nad I was surprised and disappointed
when I couldn't find a way to automatically include scheduled expenses
(especially ones set up as fixed amounts).

I also found the Budget layout cumbersome.

I ended up using a simple spreadsheet to do the job for our main
transaction account, and I do the estimate/refinement process that
Joushua wants for variable bills in the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has
simple date/reason/income/expense/balance columns, a sheet per month,
with a carried forward and an actual for the beginning of each month.
When I get my account statement, I switch the base value for the month's
budget from the carried forward entry to the actual entry. This still
doesn't fill scheduled payments automatically, though, but I find the
per-transaction view easier to use than the Budget sheet's
per-period/per account view.

Joshua, I can email you a copy of the spreadsheet if you like (with my
personal information removed, of course).

Peter