Trouble Importing QIF to Gnucash 2.4.8

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Jan 11 19:09:39 EST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, January 11, 2012 4:39 pm, bper wrote:
> Wow! Thanks for the quick response!

You're welcome..

> Derek Atkins-3 wrote
>>
>> The first line of a QIF file is supposed to be a "!Type" line, such as
>> !Type:Bank or !Type:Account or something else.  If the first line is a
>> Date Line (D01/01/2012) then yes, the file is technically malformed.
>> Just
>> add a !Type:Bank as the first line of the file (assuming it's a set
>> transactions from of bank account).
>>

> This file was not generated from a bank, but it was generated from
> transactions from the financial package that I mentioned. Is there a
> specific "!Type' specification that I should use? I guess I will have to
> manually add these lines all the time with this version of the financial
> package before importing into gnucash?

Well, it depends what account the transactions are for.  The !Type
description tells the QIF parser how to interpret the transactions.
Options include !Type:Bank, !Type:CCard, and many others.

Most likely it should be !Type:Bank, but really it does depend on what
kind of transactions you are importing.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745