Deleting files

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 19 05:33:34 EST 2012

On 19 January 2012 09:09, Fleming <mail at fleming41.me.uk> wrote:
> Problem solved!
> And I think it would be a good idea to put each new GnuCash 'file' (set of
> accounts) in a folder of its own when first saved so that these 'numerous
> files' (backups, logs, etc.) can be easily identified and do not become
> mixed up with other files in a folder.
> It does seem a bit of a shame that GnuCash uses the term 'file' in a
> different way from its use in everyday computing - too much scope for
> confusion.

GnuCash does not put the file anywhere in particular.  When you first
save the file it asks where you want to put it, if you want it in a
separate folder then you can do that.

The data file is exactly a file, no different from the way the word is
used in everyday computing as you put it.  In addition to the file it
does save log and backup files.  If you don't want it to save log
files you can set that up in Preferences > General.  I am not sure
whether one can disable the backup files.

Colin