Errors Importing QIF File

lstandish lloyd at crnatural.net
Fri Jan 20 13:00:31 EST 2012

Hi Mark,

I posted a reply to your message on nabble, thinking I was a member of the
gnucash-users list, but I wasn't.  So to get this information to the mailing
list, I have to make a new post with some duplicate information.

I'm glad your awk script worked OK.  For those unfamiliar with awk who may
be looking for an easy way to convert CSV files to QIF (in particular,
PayPal-generated CSV files), I have written an online CSV-to-QIF converter,
available at http://www.standish.home3.org/PayPalcsv2qif

This is particularly aimed at PayPal CSV files for import inti gnucash, but
it should work with CSV files from other sources, as long as the CSV column
header line (the first line in the CSV) names the following columns:
Date, Net, Type, Gross, Fee, Name, Status.

In case anyone is wondering why anyone would convert PayPal CSV files to
QIF, given the fact that PayPal offers a QIF file download, it's because the
PayPal QIF *lacks transactions*.  It omits, for example, any
partially-refunded transaction.  Therefore, if you want to import PayPal
into gnucash, you must download the "balance-affecting transactions" CSV
history file from PayPal.  My utility allows you to convert that to QIF
easily.  It adjusts the generated QIF file to work well with the gnucash QIF
import utility.  To find out why, visit the link above.

There is also an open source perl script that can be downloaded, for those
who prefer not to use the online converter.