Tax Report Option for Canadians

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:34:33 EST 2012

David,

-clipped-

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a U.S. tax report and I am wondering how complete
> the table is for 2011 tax year?  It seems like I have to declare some
> accounts as simply 'Tax Related' because I cannot find the correct
> reference.  One example is items related to various qualified savings
> plans and distributions, such as 401-K's and IRA's.
>
> Is it possible to add items?
>
> David

I will update some of the tax information for 2011 soon but this
primarily deals with line numbers on the forms/schedules and wouldn't
be available until a new release is made. This doesn't directly
address your question.

The user can't add items as the system is currently designed, if
that's what you meant. The design of the current system uses the TXF
code as the key and that standard has not been updated for several
years and is missing entries for  some items; therefore I will not be
adding codes for any items missing from the standard. There are some
codes in the standard dealing with capital gains that have not yet
been implemented in gnucash because they required capital gains
processing which is not currently available.

You will just have to work around the ones that are missing because
they won't be included in the Tax Report (you can't flag an account as
tax-related and not assign a code to it). You can still set up
accounts for these items, do your accounting entries, and then
generate standard gnucash reports to get your info and combine it with
the info in the Tax Report outside of the system.

Regards,

Alex