GnuCash

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 22 04:15:59 EST 2012

On 22 January 2012 06:32, Dave Niezabitowski <daveniezby at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Adding classes would not be something I think the developers would want. GnuCash is NOT a Quicken like system. It's a REAL accounting system.  Meaning it's double entry accounting.  To make it like quicken would ruin the true function of GnuCash (in my opinion).  Imagine GnuCash as REAL accounting books.  Instead of digging through volumes of hand printed account books; it's all electronic.

There is nothing in the concept of classes that goes against double
entry accounting.  It is just an additional orthogonal way of
organising accounts.  Perhaps you are thinking of Categories.  I
believe there is a fairly detailed spec somewhere awaiting
implementation when someone who can do it wants it enough.

Colin

> If you wanted to create a "class"  simply create a new top level account and set it to a placeholder.  After that, put all the sub accounts under that placeholder.  Once you get past the  minor differences you won't want to go back to Quicken.  GnuCash is far more in-depth (in my opinion) than the hand holding Quicken uses.
>
> -Dave

gplus.to/clanlaw