GnuCash

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 22 10:56:12 EST 2012

On 22 January 2012 15:42, Dave Niezabitowski <daveniezby at yahoo.com> wrote:

Don't forget to copy this list when you reply, for some reason this
does not happen automatically on this list.

> No, I know that.  I'm just saying that I don't think the developers WANT
> GnuCash to be like Quicken.  Maybe some features but I think it's far
> superior to Quicken and Quickbooks and more customizable in regards to
> account set up.

Adding the concept of classes is nothing to do with making GC more
like Quicken.  It is a matter of adding a feature that some would find
useful and would have no impact on those who do not choose to use it.
I suspect that if someone came up with a patch to add the feature it
would be welcomed (provided it did not compromise any other features
of GC).

> I think people have been babied too much by Quicken and are not completely
> understanding how to track their finances because they don't need to be
> accountable (no pun in tended) to the money they track in Quicken.  You
> simply enter your expense or income and select a category.  No understanding
> of where the money came from, where it's gone or where it's going.

That may well be correct but it is nothing to do with the concept of classes.

> I don't think I'm explaining myself correctly but I hope you understand what
> I mean.
>
> If I enter something into the account's transaction journal there is an
> equal entry somewhere else to balance out my universe. If it doesn't balance
> out, I have a problem. In Quicken I can enter the transaction and not worry
> about it at all.

True again, but nothing to do with classes.

Colin