Any differences in choosing MySql vrs XML file?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Jan 23 22:34:51 EST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, January 23, 2012 9:45 pm, dniezby wrote:
> I do have a localhost with MySql and I was wondering if there was an
> advantage or disadvantage to using MySql as my database instead of using
> an
> XML file for managing the records?

MySQL is newer, has less testing, and is reportedly slower than the XML
backend.  There have definitely been data-loss bugs with the SQL backends,
whereas none such issues with XML.  The only benefit to SQL over XML is
immediate data save (when you don't hit a condition where you can lose
your data).

Basically, for now I would still recommend you use XML for real data
storage, and only use SQL for testing.

That may change over time.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745