QIF import not working?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 25 12:44:57 EST 2012

Hi,

Richard <judgesinel at netscape.net> writes:

> The QIF file is not empty and there is no error message, it is exactly as
> explained. I do not know how to embellish this further other than to create

Are you *sure* that it has *TRANSACTIONAL* information and doesn't just
contain accounts?  The behavior you are seeing generally happens only
when there is no transactional information in the QIF file.

> pictures of the process I have followed. I simply expected additional
> information other than the obvious which I suppose occurs?

It's all based on the contents of the QIF file.

[snip]
> This takes a short while to import

If the file is large (lots of accounts) it can still take a long time to
parse, even if there is no transactional data in it.

[snip]
> Next step is blank?

Again, this implies there are no actual transactions in the file, for
example if you are importing just a chart of accounts without any
transactions in it.

> [cid]
>
> Forward after this step even picks up my local currency, but I can find
> nothing imported, even though it has clearly gone through the process?

The QIF file could still have a currency setting even if it contains no
transactions.

Again, for the third time, can you please verify that your QIF file
contains transactional information and not just account information?
The GnuCash QIF importer only imports transactions.  It will use account
information from the QIF file to help determine how to process the
transactions, but if there are no transactions in the QIF file then it
wont import anything, which is what you are seeing.

So again, can you check your QIF file for real transactions?  Maybe even
send a bit of your QIF file here?