Considering GNUCash

Ian K ik522000 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 08:09:51 EST 2012

I moved from MS Money (2004) over a year ago and haven't looked back. How
complex your account list is and whether or not you want to import data from
Money to GnuCash will determine how easy the transition will be. I picked a
date (beginning of 2011) and started with a clean GnuCash file, set up my
accounts with Opening Balance transactions on January 1st, and proceeded
from there. I could, of course (and still do) refer back to Money if I need
to see older transactions. Maybe you can still keep an old machine with
Money on it for that purpose?
I ran Money in parallel for a couple of months until I was sure I could
trust GnuCash, then, once I was, I stopped updating Money.
You can import transactions from Money, it's described in the
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_import_my_data_from_Microsoft_Money.3F

if you're going to do this I'd recommend doing it one account at a time.
Also, have all your accounts set up in GnuCash first e.g. set up Expense
Accounts so that the GnuCash importer will be better able to guess what
accounts to assign to Money's Categories.