GnuCash PostgreSQL support

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 30 12:29:21 EST 2012

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash5 at numerixtechnology.de> writes:

> I had so much been looking forward to moving to SQL for three reasons:
>
> 1) speed (not too important)

Actually, the SQL backends are probably slower than XML.  This is
because GnuCash still loads all the data at the beginning.

> 2) being able to extract my own reports via SQL

You can still do a Save-As to SQL to checkpoint your XML data if you
want.  Or, depending on how you write your reports you could maybe just
use the Python bindings against the XML data?

> 3) I want to bulk modify 1000s of transactions (I know it's not
> recommended to tamper with the data directly and I'd do a backup
> beforehand). For instance, I want to transpose Description and Notes of
> certain transactions (so they show up in the reconcile window). I have
> 8 years worth of data, 55MB xml and I'd like to restructure the way I
> record some expenses based on my notes.

Again, this could be done by Python.