GnuCash PostgreSQL support

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash5 at numerixtechnology.de
Mon Jan 30 14:20:46 EST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:29:21 -0500
Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

>Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash5 at numerixtechnology.de> writes:
>
>> 1) speed (not too important)
>
>Actually, the SQL backends are probably slower than XML.  This is
>because GnuCash still loads all the data at the beginning.

Start-up time is irrelevant to me as I only start the application once
in the morning and GnuCash starts a damn sight faster than Firefox
with 35 extensions! ;-)

As data are all loaded at the beginning of the session, report
generation and searches would neither be slower or faster with a SQL
back-end?

>> 2) being able to extract my own reports via SQL
>> 3)  I want to transpose Description and Notes
>> of certain transactions
>
> this could be done by Python.

I realize I could write a Python script to parse and modify the XML
file. I just feel I'd be a little more proficient doing it in SQL as I
have been dealing with Postgresql a lot recently.

Thanks for your help, Derek.
--

Best Regards,
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz