integrity of entries

Bob Brush bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:32:37 EST 2012

On 01/30/2012 02:03 PM, Zeev Pekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does gnucash has a mechanism to ensure integrity of entries, i.e. if an invoice was issued there is no way to edit or delete it in "invisble" way (like commits in some version control systems), even by manipulating the source code?
> If not - can such functionality be implemented in a) "stand alone" manner or b) with some central institution providing some kind of digital keys?
> If I add this as feature request what are the chances that it will be implemented in some near future? (Otherwise authorities will not recognize my bookkeeping).
>
> Best regards,
> Zeev
It is not really feasible..  in a related idea, you have the possibility
of employees cooking the books.  Some things to note:  Invoices are
numbered in order, and cannot be deleted, although they can be recycled
or changed.  Changes are made only to the current file, regular backups
are not changed.  So you can set the autosave interval to anything you
want, here it is set to 5 minutes, you can also retain log files
indefinitely, creating a "hands off" log, depending on your paranoia you
could trigger these files to be whisked away to an off-site location,
ect..  Realize the difficulty to change something with out a trace, as
many things will cause other things to happen which are not readily
apparent from the user interface, now compound that with having to cover
your tracks by performing the same steps on all the affected backups,
while maintaining correct file date/time attributes, and keeping the
time stamps not visible but present in the gnucash file in sync with the
overall file dating, I would say that even with a good knowledge of the
internal workings of the business features this would be such an effort,
that a person capable would be able to accomplish the same with far less
work.  I don't know who you need to have approval of, but a well
documented business process using gnucash as one component should exceed
any minimal requirements.

I would like to have more data written to the log files, and it would be
good to have a facility for writing those files to a remote database,
someone's cloud (just had to add that), or maybe even email them.

It would be cool to have a daily summary:

Daily Summary of changes for file MYXYZCOMPANY.gnucash

15 invoices created
15 invoices changed
3 new customers
1 customer changed
20 bills created
3 bills changed
5 bills paid
$2250.34 new income
$1765.00 new expense
User interface open for 12.5 hours
2 restarts
25 invoices printed..

--
Robert L. Brush III
Raleigh Tile of Beckley ** West Virginia