Opening GnuCash file

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 31 11:32:01 EST 2012

David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 1/31/2012 12:25 AM, Tom Reeve wrote:
>> Yesterday I installed the program, version 2.4.9, and entered one month of
>> data.  Today I can't access the data...getting the message "there was an error
>> parsing the file.....".  I uninstalled the program and re-installed it.  I still
>> get the same error message, and even started a different company file with new
>> data.  I can locate the data files, but can't seem to be able to open either
>> one.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>> Tom Reeve
>> tmramk at sbcglobal.net
>
> There seems to be a rash of mysterious problems today.  It must either
> be the sunspot cycle or the Republicans in Florida causing them.

Actually, this sounds very much like the "Opening Balance does not
implement a correct Transaction-Entered Date on Windows" bug.

Tom, did you set opening balances when you created your data file?  If
so, that would be the problem.  There are two ways to move forward:

1) start over, and don't set the opening balances from the Druid but
   instead create the opening balances by hand in the various registers
   after you generate your chart of accounts.  They are just normal
   transactions between the Asset and Liability accounts to
   Equity:Opening Balances.

2) hand-edit your data file XML and fix the O-B transactions so they
   have a valid transaction entered date.