autofill fields on bill splits doesn't refresh

Shane Litherland litherland-farm at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 31 20:56:14 EST 2012

Hi again,

just a little issue (with a not-so-little explanation) on the autofill
in bill entries:

if I start typing in the description field, it finds a match, and once I
tab out of that field, it completes the expense acct, quantity, unit
price etc to match the auto-filled description.

e.g. I type 'phone' and it autofills 'phone business calls', I tab and
all the other details in split are added to match a previous 'phone
business calls' entry.

that's great. it saves time and makes sure my expense accts, tax tables
are less likely to be subject to user error picking different ones
between sessions on GNUcash :-) (I then only have to adjust the
price/quantity for current bill)

once or twice though, I've realised i tabbed along with the auto-fill
not being the option i'd wanted, instead of ctrl>arrow to move within
the description to change wording.

If I go back to change the wording, autofill can still find something
e.g. I change 'phone business calls' to 'phone pr' and it autofills to
'phone private calls'.
When I tab out of there though, whatever process originally matched up
the expense, quantity, price etc for the first autofill does not
'refresh' those fields to match the new description chosen with
autofill. It retains the expense acct, tax table etc that matched 'phone
business calls'

To get the auto-fill to find and match all the info for the split, i
have to delete the split I'd mucked around with and do it again, making
sure i put 'phone pr' the first time ;-)

There's the possibility that a user could get caught out here with
complacency - if one assumes the autofill of a description returns
details for the rest of the split the first time, they could assume it
will do it all the time. If they think they can change a split by using
the autofill in description to update/correct something, they'll
actually only change the description leaving other split details as they
were.
On the other hand, if user has edited other parts of the split, then
goes back and only wants to change the description, the current
auto-fill operation would suit them. If it refreshed all fields of the
split they'd have to re-edit those as required.

So - does this refresh/not refresh need fixing so it always updates? or
leave it as is? or, embellish the process whereby if user changes
description to another auto-fill entry, an option dialog comes up asking
them if they want the other fields refreshed to match new autofill
description or kept as they currently are?

-shane