can I get info on quanties from bill splits?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 12 12:13:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

Shane Litherland <litherland-farm at bigpond.com> writes:

> Hi Derek, list;
>
> now that i'm at end of financial year, i've put some time into fiddling
> with a custom report I'd corresponded about months ago.
>
> Some tinkering, but came up with errors. so went back to baby steps:
> made a copy of transactions.scm, renamed it quantity.scm and gave it a
> new guid (generated from relevant gnucash command in terminal)
>
> so theoretically quantity.scm should work?

Yes.

> Did notice that I'd saved it one-level up in gnucash directory
> (under ../report whereas transactions.scm is
> under ../report/standard-reports).

I don't think it will find the report under "report".  I think you need
to put it into the "standard-reports" directory in order for GnuCash to
actually load the report.

> Ran a report from gnucash menu - transaction report. changed its name
> and saved that (in my home folder/.gnucash/saved-reports-2.4)

This is irrelevant.  The real test is:  do you see your new report in
the Reports menu?  If not, then it's not being loaded properly.

Take a look at the gnucash.trace file.

[snip]
> Also tried three locations of guid changed at once, still error.

This implies to me that your report isn't being loaded.

> Three places I changed were:
> (let ((options (gnc:report-template-new-options/report-guid
> "8b704744ae8dd94a91826f18952cae80" "Transaction Report")))
>
> 'parent-type "8b704744ae8dd94a91826f18952cae80"
>
> 'renderer (gnc:report-template-renderer/report-guid
> "8b704744ae8dd94a91826f18952cae80" "Transaction Report")))

Why are you testing it this way?  That seems like so much more work than
just getting your report to load and running it like any other report.

> Any pointers? How about ways to start/run gnucash from command line with
> verbose or debug settings to see more info on what it doesn't like? I
> did try gnucash --debug and it launched but didn't really seem to spit
> anything relevant out in terminal.
>
> ways to run just the report from command/terminal???

No.  Reports can only be run from the UI at this time.

> I figure until I can understand how to get an identical but new-named
> report to work, I shouldn't go tweaking report layout!

Indeed.  All you need to do is change the name, change the GUID, and
restart gnucash.  Try putting the report into the right place.