Importing CSV, conversion to QIF, PayPal

Lloyd Standish lloyd at crnatural.net
Fri Jul 13 13:28:53 EDT 2012

Hello,

Those who have transactions in CSV format that need to be imported into gnucash might want to look at my GNU-licensed CSV to QIF conversion utility.  There is a web-based version of the tool (https://www.tropicalhealthfoods.com/ppcsv2qif.php) as well as a free-standing GNU-licensed version.

There have been significant improvements to the converter since my last announcement here, including multi-lingual support for CSV header labels and multi-currency support via generation of separate QIF files for each currency found in the CSV file.

Although the CSV to QIF converter should work for any CSV files, it was designed specifically to convert PayPal CSV files to QIF for import into gnucash.  This is *necessary* for PayPal transactions, since the QIF download offered by PayPal does not include all transactions.  For example, if a transaction is partially-refunded, it will be completely *omitted* from the QIF download! Only the "balance-affecting" CSV download includes all PayPal transactions.

There are also special enhancements for PayPal income transactions, to play well with the QIF import wizard.

More info on the project webpage: http://standish.home3.org/PayPalcsv2qif

--
Lloyd