[newbie] Select lines in SLK file and set to category?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 18 10:18:11 EDT 2012

Hi,

Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> writes:

> Hello
>
> I've never used a cash management application before, and I simply would
> like to...
> 1. feed it my bank statements in SLK

I've never heard of the SLK bank format.  Is it something you can
translate to QIF or OFX?

Unless you mean the Slovak Koruna, which is SKK..  In which case, yes,
you can set GnuCash to run in your local currency, and you can tell
GnuCash in which currency to import transactions.

> 2. Select all the lines that belong to a given type of expense and set them
> to the right category, eg. Gas or Groceries

The importers will allow you to assign each transaction to a particular
income/expense account.  How this is done differs between the QIF and
OFX importer.

> 3. After defining each line accordingly, have GnuCash show me how I spend my
> money, so I can see if I can save some.

Yep.  Run an Income Statement (aka Profit and Loss) report to see where
your money is coming from and going to.

> I assume GnuCash can do this, but I'd rather check before spending time
> learning how to use it.

Of course.