GNUCash Crashing following editing of Account Summary

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 02:43:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 09:59 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> foxylady337 <hendry.michael at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks, Dan.
> >
> > I fear that a new version of GnuCash won't solve my problem - given that
> > it's probably a routine update of Ubuntu 10.04 which caused it in the first
> > place, rather than a fault which has suddenly appeared in GnuCash 2.4.7
> > after 8 months of satisfactory performance. I re-installed the same
> > (Ubuntu-supported) version of GnuCash in case I'd somehow corrupted some
> > part of the product, but got exactly the same error.
> >
> > My laptop has Ubuntu 11.10, which has a different UI from Ubuntu 10.04, and
> > may not have broken GnuCash for this reason.
> >
> > I'm not in a great hurry to upgrade my desktop from 10.04, as lots of other
> > things might get broken in the process. I'm not a great fan of the Unity
> > interface either.
> >
> > I'll try to pursue it with Canonical in the first instance.
>
> Another thing you can try is moving your ~/.gnucash file out of the
> way.  This will cause GnuCash to lose its history of open windows and
> saved reports, but it might get you back to something that works.
>
> Note that this will not remove your data, just some set of saved state.
>
> Also note that I said "move it out of the way", not "remove it" -- in
> case you need to recover some data from the old state files.

> -derek

I recently switched from Ubuntu 10.04 to its LTS successor 12.04. This
was a painful transition for a number of reasons, but one of the
beneficial side-effects was that my home-compiled version of GnuCash
(2.4.10) doesn't crash when I edit an Account Summary.

I think it may have been an update to the X-Windows libraries that broke
GnuCash in the older version of Ubuntu.

Thanks for your support.

Michael