Shareholders/Owners Equity Question

quest46 nightflight68 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:19:24 EDT 2012

I'm using GnuCash 2.4.11.
OS: Windows 7

I'm switching software. So, I'm trying to set up my accounts, in GnuCash,
but I hit a snag when it came to the "Equity" part.

My old software (Simply Accounting) allowed me to create "Voting",
"Non-voting", and "Preferred", etc. accounts, in the "Equity" section. Then
I could enter an opening amount, for each - which, since I'm switching
software, now, has to be the case this time, too. Afterwards, I could change
the value of those sub-accounts via the General Journal.

Yet, I'm finding GnuCash to be a bit odd (not user-friendly/flexible), in
this matter. Rather than just being a header, the "Equity" account reflects
a rigid running net-total and any sub-accounts cannot start with an opening
amount.

I've spent hours trying to find a work-around or solution, but I could not
find any.

So, is there a way to get GnuCash to act more like Simply Accounting, when
it comes to shareholders/owners equity accounts?

- q