Can I add a Tag for each transaction?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 26 10:24:15 EDT 2012

On Jul 26, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Chan.pat93 <Chan.pat93 at yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using Moneydance and planning to move to Gnucash.
>
> One of the features I like most in Moneydance is that for each transaction,
> apart from memo entry, description entry (i.e Payee) and Category entry
> (i.e. other side of the double entry), moneydance also have one additional
> entry named "Tag" so that I can add more information for further analysis
> (which is very important for me).
>
> I read the user guide of Gnucash and note that there is no such "Tag"
> function. Am I correct? Is there any function in Gnucash which gives similar
> effect of the "Tag" function in Moneydance?

If you open a transaction up all the way with View>Double Line and Split views (either manually per-transaction with the Split button, automatically per-transaction with View>Autosplit, or for every transaction with View>Transaction Journal), you'll have Description and Notes on the transaction and Action and Memo on each split. Surely that's enough?

Regards,
John Ralls