Can I add a Tag for each transaction?

Tom Peterson thomas.tap.peterson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:04:09 EDT 2012

On 07/26/2012 09:24 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2012, at 6:52 AM, Chan.pat93 <Chan.pat93 at yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am using Moneydance and planning to move to Gnucash.
>>
>> One of the features I like most in Moneydance is that for each transaction,
>> apart from memo entry, description entry (i.e Payee) and Category entry
>> (i.e. other side of the double entry), moneydance also have one additional
>> entry named "Tag" so that I can add more information for further analysis
>> (which is very important for me).
>>
>> I read the user guide of Gnucash and note that there is no such "Tag"
>> function. Am I correct? Is there any function in Gnucash which gives similar
>> effect of the "Tag" function in Moneydance?
>>
> If you open a transaction up all the way with View>Double Line and Split views (either manually per-transaction with the Split button, automatically per-transaction with View>Autosplit, or for every transaction with View>Transaction Journal), you'll have Description and Notes on the transaction and Action and Memo on each split. Surely that's enough?
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls
I molest the NUM field and use it as a means of tagging transactions. I
specifically use TBD so that I can search for it. I use TBD to note
transactions that still need to be completed (e.g. pay credit card, get
final mutual fund sale/purchase prices, etc).

I'd prefer a separate and convenient field but my approach at least
solves my problem.