Projection/Forecast Capabilities with Current Asset Account

Richard Thomas richdthomas at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:21:18 EDT 2012

Hi,

I just want to explain why I am asking for what I am asking for first, to
give some reasoning behind it.

The way I use my Current Asset Account (CAA), is that all transactions get
entered within a day or so of them happening.

So when I use my debit card, I enter the information about that transaction
into the CAA and leave the transaction status as "n", for not cleared.

I have also set up Scheduled Transactions, which mostly contains monthly
outgoings that are taken by direct debit, E.G. mortgage, electric, etc.

What I would like to be able to do is see how much money I have left to
spend until pay day.

To me, the amount I have to spend, is the amount that shows in the CAA as
"Present" and then subtracted from that amount are all the Scheduled
Transactions that are due to occur up until pay day (my Scheduled
Transactions are only debit, so that's why my example only talks about
subtracting, but adding would come into play if any Scheduled Transactions
are credit).

I'm not sure if this is something that can be done at the moment.  There
are two ways I can think that might achieve this.

1) That GnuCash has a projection/forecast capability, where it bases the
projection on the "Present" balance and the forthcoming Scheduled
Transactions, which would constitute the "Projection" balance.  This will
be less than the "Present" balance and is the balance I want to know.

2) That GnuCash performs it's "Since Last Run..." processing, such that the
Scheduled Transactions are placed into my CAA ahead of the date that they
are due to be scheduled, but the schedule date is preserved and used as the
transaction date in the CAA.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Does anyone know if this is currently possible with GnuCash?

If this is not possible, is it something that can be achieved with a Python
script or Custom report?

If no to all of that, then what would the feasibility be of having GnuCash
enhanced so that this can be done?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard.