Foreign Share transactions.

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jul 29 09:12:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

The issue is that there is a third, hidden currency called the Transaction
Currency.  This value is not something you can see or set from the UI, it
is completely inferred from context.  Unfortunately a stock account does
not contain a currency, but the transaction currency needs to be set very
early in the process of creating a transaction (even before you enter a
single Split line!), so when you create a transaction from a stock account
GnuCash has to "Guess" what the transaction currency should be.  It does
this by looking at the currency of the parent account of the Stock
account.

If you have stocks that are traded in different currencies then you will
need to put them into the hierarchy under accounts with those different
currencies.  E.g.:

  Cash (Cur1)
     +--- StockA (Cur1)
  Cash (Cur2)
     +--- StockB (Cur2)

Then when you create a transaction from the StockA account the Transaction
Currency will be Cur1, and when you create a transaction from the StockB
account it'll be Cur2.

The transfer dialog may not have this knowledge in it, which may be why
you cannot get it working with "foreign" currencies.  It may always assume
locale currency for transfers.  I'd have to look at the code to verify
that.

I hope this helps.

-derek

On Sun, July 29, 2012 6:33 am, Pandem wrote:
> Finally figured it out.  I need to use the menu ACTION-> TRANSFER function
> (CTL-T).
> If I go to the STOCK account and select the ACTION-> TRANSFER  I'm able to
> define Where from, How Much and description of the TRANSFER and to Where
> it
> is going and How Much will got to the Destination Account. How much could
> be
> in dollar value or Stock number. The indication to the use of the ACTION->
> TRANSFER came from Gnucash 2.2x. It actually provides a message that
> suggests to use a transfer.
> This is really what happens when you normally enter the transaction,
> however
> it is rather strange that it works for a STOCK purchase when the currency
> is
> the same as the default LOCAL currency in both the source and destination.
> So why is it different when the NON Local currency is involved? From what
> can see all the required data is present in the fields. The Source
> currency
> is known and the destination currency is also known.
> I know the data is there as it works with the LOCAL currency so why the
> difference with a foreign currency is used?
>

> --

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745